Tuesday, February 17, 2009


The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak

In an interesting plot twist, Death himself narrates this WWII story of young Liesel Meminger, who lives in Nazi Germany. After her parents are arrested and taken away. Liesel goes to live with her foster parents, who live on the outskirts of Munich. Amidst all the suffering and sadness, Liesel meets a very interesting assortment of people, and is taught how to read by her foster dad after she steals the book "The Grave Digger's Handbook."

I guess, for me, having Death dispassionately narrate a tale certainly certainly adds a twist to the story. And it opens interesting insight (though it is fiction) into what it must have been like living in Germany during this dreadful time.

"Took me a LONG time to get interested. In fact, I don't think I ever was." Reviewed by Madeline.

No comments: